Let a DWI Lawyer Help You Fight the Charges

A DUI is always going to be a serious charge. When a DUI is accompanied by an accident, the potential penalties are far more serious, especially if there were injuries as a result of the accident. Those who have been arrested for a DUI with an accident will want to make sure they have a DWI Lawyer to help them.

Multiple Sides of the Case

A DUI case is typically just a DUI charge, which means everything plays out in criminal courts and there is only one case to worry about. However, if there is an accident involved, there is a civil aspect as well. A civil suit can be brought by the victims of the accident to try to obtain compensation for their injuries. THis means the person has both criminal and civil cases against them they’ll need to pay close attention to.

Worry About DUI Charges First

In civil courts, it’s much easier to get a settlement if they can prove the person committed negligence by showing a criminal conviction. This means the arrested person will likely go through the criminal case and then the civil case. They likely don’t have to worry about two cases at the same time, but if they are convicted of the criminal case it is more likely they’ll be found at fault for the civil case.

What Can Impact the Charges and Penalties

The charges and penalties vary depending on the specific situation. A higher BAC (blood alcohol content level) will lead to more severe charges as will a second or subsequence DUI conviction. Additionally, if there is an accident because the person was driving under the influence, their charges and potential penalties can be significantly higher. This is especially true if there was a serious accident that led to a death. 

If you’ve been arrested and charged with a DUI and there was an accident involved, you will want to hire a lawyer who has a significant amount of experience working with these types of cases. The right lawyer is going to minimize any impact on your future, even if they cannot have the charges dismissed. Contact a lawyer today to learn more about your case.